We yearn for a peaceful world and for prosperous communities. We pray for kind and virtuous societies where wickedness is forsaken and goodness and right prevail.
Should we fail in this great core commandment to "succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knee" (Matt 22: 36- 40) or turn our hearts from those who suffer and mourn... the jubilant hope of our hearts will ever be distant." [H. David Burton]
So, my thought today, is what are you wearing? When I was dressing to day, I had no thought of clothing myself in 'Charity'.
Me personally, my standard: jeans, I bought them five years ago with Laura Bailey on my birthday when I need to find a good pair of jeans, they were $49.99, at the time I used all my money to buy them-- forgoing all the other things I needed. If I had know I'd love them to death, I probably would have bought them in a darker wash. A t-shirt, its nothing special, I grabbed it at Target because it's red, soft, and wrinkle free. I bought it to replace a shirt I ruined. I bought it because everyone should have a go- to polo shirt. I bought it because at the time I only had two shirts that fit me (just after Lucy was born) and it still fits so I still wear it:) My very favorite shoes-- orange and red Merrill's, that I bought two summers ago with my swim lesson money; they were a splurge for me. They are my most expensive purchase-- EVER. And I have worn them everywhere, and I love them. It's silly, they are not stylish and yet they are. They don't go with everything and yet they do. I bought them because sometimes you need something sensible to walk in that has a sense of fun too! I knew that I was going to be walking a lot today so, these are my go- to- shoes. How to do my hair-- we'll probably take pictures because we're celebrating Emily's Birthday, so, I curled my hair and tied it back with a handsome silk scarf from my grandmother, because sometimes just wearing something of her's makes me feel more classy. How much make-up I put on just to look alive and not ill or exhausted. And the true wonder of something as simple as mascara or the eye brow pencil. When I first read that this small little pencil was some woman's makeup miracle-- I laughed out loud, and now I wish I could send her a thank you note.
My golden threads: the little things that I do that collectively make up the fabric of my life. Is it interwoven with brilliant gold that emphasizes my faith? Is Charity as standard as my jeans and t-shirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment